Saturday, June 16, 2012

4 Year Aged Gouda Pittig

I know, I know - we just did a post on gouda. I didn't even want to eat this cheese after tasting the last one, Old Amsterdam Aged Gouda. A friend bought it for us, and really I was just being polite tasting it in my kitchen one evening. Let me tell you, friends, this was a whole different gouda animal.

For starters, it looks different:
Gouda Pittig, aged 4 years
Look at that color! Look at the delicious fissures, inclusions, and little crystals of flavor! It reminds me of caramel - it smells like caramel, and has hints of caramel hidden deep within its complex flavor. The cheese is rock-hard, and cleaves like stone into neat little crumbles. 

More about the flavor - it is intense. This is not the same cheese we tried a few weeks ago. The flavor is sharp, reminiscent of whiskey, with subdued sweetness and salt. 

Those little crunchy bits in the cheese? Those are crystalized shards of lactic acid, formed naturally during the aging process. They're like little pop rocks, bursting with flavor. 

The cheese making process starts with regular gouda, which is is a cooked, pressed cheese made of cow's milk. The gouda is then left to age for years, turned every so often by the loving hands of master dutch cheese makers. The result is a marvel of the cheese world, a wheel of dark amber colored, toffee-smelling aged gouda. 

The bottom line: if you want gouda, stick to the AGED gouda - it's amazing, a true cheese experience. Look for gouda that has been aged for 2 or more years. I really disliked regular young gouda, but this stuff is magic.

- Alan

3 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog, and think its great! I am a cheesemonger in new haven and i really enjoy taking my cutomers on journeys like the one you and Ashley are embarking on. Wish you were here, we'd sample and learn, and sample again. Lol. Good luck and i'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, glad you like our blog! Where do you work, we would love to come check out some cheese next time we're in the area. I'm assuming you mean New Haven, Connecticut? I'm from New York City originally, and we come to the area a few times a year.

    Any interesting cheeses to recommend to us fledgling cheese hounds? Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats right, New Haven Ct. This is where cheese has landed us (this time) lol. We have a great new co-op market located right of 95. I'd love to have you come sample some cheeses with me. I'm at Elm City Market. Email me at rwilliams@elmcitymarket.coop.

    ReplyDelete